Auction #5. Leo Najo, original painting by Will Johnson. 8” x 17-1/4”, acrylic and pencil on 3/4” MDF board. 100% of the proceeds to Raices/LEAF Project For Universal Representation for Unaccompanied Children. Starting bid is $50, and the auction ends Tuesday, October 9 at 2pm (CT). Thanks for checking it out. With respect and love.
( BID ON EBAY )
Marie/Lepanto is Will Johnson + Justin Kinkel-Schuster. We’re very excited to hit the road for a big tour of the western states in September. These shows are hosted in private spaces. No stage, no sound system and each show is limited to 40-50 people. All tickets must be purchased in advance from our friends at Undertow. You’ll get the full address to the secret location once your purchase is complete.
September 09 : Marfa TX
September 11 : Phoenix AZ
September 12 : Los Angeles CA
September 13 : San Francisco CA
September 14 : Petaluma CA
September 15 : Reno NV
September 17 : Eugene OR
September 18 : Portland OR
September 19 : Seattle WA
September 20 : Walla Walla WA
September 21 : Boise ID
September 22 : Ogden UT
September 24 : Ft Collins CO
September 25 : Denver CO
September 26 : Albuquerque NM
September 28 : Dallas TX
September 29 : Austin TX
We’ll see you out there.
Will & Justin
We’re excited to get back out on tour in April. Come out and say hello.
April 05 : Springfield MO – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 06 : Omaha NE – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 07 : Sioux Falls SD – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 08 : Minneapolis MN – Turf Club – TICKETS
April 09 : Madison WI – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 10 : Milwaukee WI – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 11 : Davenport IA – Racoon Motel – TICKETS
April 12 : Chicago – Schuba’s – TICKETS
April 13 : Detroit MI – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 14 : Ft. Wayne IN – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 17 : New York NY – Mercury Lounge – TICKETS
April 18 : Philadelphia PA – Johnny Brenda’s – TICKETS
April 19 : Baltimore MD – Living Room Show – SOLD OUT
April 20 : Washington DC – DC9 – TICKETS
April 21 : Richmond VA – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 22 : Brevard NC – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 23 : Athens GA – Living Room Show – TICKETS
April 24 : Waverly AL – Standard Deluxe – TICKETS
April 25 : Mobile AL – Satori – INFO
April 26 : Oxford MS – Living Room Show – TICKETS
# # #
MARIE/LEPANTO – TENKILLER LP RELEASE
On February 18, 2016, my friend Justin Peter Kinkel-Schuster and I had a show in Memphis. We were nearing the end of a tour together, got to town early and decided to stop in at Sam Phillips Recording to see our mutual friend Jeff Powell. Jeff helped produce Centro-matic’s Fort Recovery LP back in 2005, and was soon to mix Pete’s full length LP, Constant Stranger. He’d recently moved his vinyl cutting service to Phillips, was starting to engineer sessions on the premises, and gave us the full tour that afternoon. The space and studio was functioning again after years of inactivity, though much was still in place as far as gear, fixtures, furniture and artifacts go. There were roughed up master tapes along the shelves with labels reading: John Prine, Etta James, Martin Luther King, The Bar-Kays, and Sleepy John Estes, and the small bar area upstairs looked as if it might’ve hosted a gathering only a night or two before. Old phone books, magazines and long-obsolete office equipment lay in boxes upstairs, and the place smelled spooky, worn, and wonderful. Cash, Orbison, Prine, Dylan, Booker T., The Yardbirds, Levon Helm, and many other greats had recorded there, and it was easy to feel overwhelmed by the building’s history. Before we exited the live room, Jeff pointed up to the (session-stopping) bullet hole in the ceiling that Roland Janes had put there late one night many years ago. Somewhere feathered into our farewells, it was suggested that we should stop in and do some recording. As the conversations continued with Pete over the remainder of the tour, it became a clear no-brainer. You write a few. I’ll write a few. We’ll meet back in Memphis in six or seven months.
We reconvened in September with Powell at the helm, tracking ten songs over four days. We tried to be the best backing musicians we could be for each other, relentlessly ingesting as much Cozy Corner barbecue and Gus’ Fried Chicken that time would allow for. We circled back for a couple of overdubs and final mixing with our friend Clay Jones a few months later. We decided on the name Marie/Lepanto for geographical reasons relating to our respective birthplaces and home territories.
With many thanks to Bruce, Graham, and all at Big Legal Mess/Fat Possum, our record comes out today. Thanks also to Bob and everyone at Undertow, Nick Loss-Eaton, Jeff Powell, Clay Jones, Angela Backstrom, Christian Helms and all at Helms Workshop for helping make this record go. We’re happy it’s in the world.
TOUR WITH PEDRO THE LION
We’ll do the first leg of Marie/Lepanto touring as support for our friends Pedro The Lion. It means a lot to get to ride the roads with them for a few weeks, and we’re grateful to be invited. More dates for April and later in 2018 will be announced soon.
Feb. 8 – St. Louis, MO / Old Rock House
Feb. 9 – Kansas City, MO / Record Bar
Feb. 10 – Tulsa, OK / The Vanguard
Feb. 11 – Fayetteville, AR / Living Room Show*
Feb. 12 – Dallas, TX / Trees
Feb. 13 – Austin, TX / Waterloo Records In-store at 5pm*
Feb. 13 – Austin, TX / Mohawk
Feb. 14 – Houston, TX / Rockefeller’s
Feb. 15 – Baton Rouge, LA / Living Room Show*
Feb. 16 – New Orleans, LA / One-Eyed Jack’s
Feb. 17 – Birmingham, AL / Saturn
Feb. 18 – Gainesville, FL / High Dive
Feb. 19 – Orlando, FL / The Social
Feb. 21 – Carrboro, NC / Cat’s Cradle
Feb. 22 – Atlanta, GA / Terminal West
Feb. 23 – Nashville, TN / Exit/In
Tickets links for all shows available at http://www.marielepanto.com/tour-dates/
Thank you. -Will J.
Hello, friends.. excited to tell you about a new project with Justin Peter Kinkel-Schuster called Marie/Lepanto. Our first album”Tenkiller” will be out on 01.26.18 through the kind folks at Big Legal Mess Records. We’ll be headed out on tour in February with Pedro The Lion.
Tickets go on sale Friday at 10am (ET) at http://marielepanto.com
February 8 : St Louis MO – Old Rock House
February 9 : Kansas City MO – Record Bar
February 10 : Tulsa OK – The Vanguard
February 12 : Dallas TX – Trees
February 13 : Austin TX – Mohawk
February 14 : Houston TX – Rockefeller’s
February 16 : New Orleans – LA One Eyed Jacks
February 17 : Birmingham AL – Saturn
February 18 : Gainesville FL – High Dive
February 19 : Orlando FL – The Social
February 21 : Carrboro NC – Cat’s Cradle
February 22 : Atlanta GA – Terminal West
February 23 : Nashville TN – Exit/In
More news to come!
Living Room Tour! All acoustic, no PA, early nights, songs and possibly uncomfortable stories in living rooms, art spaces and workshops. I’ll have plenty of vinyl and art prints in tow. Post up what songs you’re interested in hearing on Twitter or Facebook and I’ll see if I can dust them off proper for the respective show. Should state upfront that sometimes this works out, and sometimes it tanks entirely. What I’m saying is I’ll try.
Thu Oct 26 : Austin TX – SOLD OUT
FRI Oct 27 : San Antonio TX
MON Oct 30 : Fayetteville AR
WED Nov 1 : Tulsa OK
THU Nov 2 : Oklahoma City OK
FRI Nov 3 : Dallas TX
SAT Nov 4 : Keller TX – SOLD OUT
SAT Dec 9 : Sealy TX
This show will be a benefit with all proceeds going to the Houston Food Bank.
See you soon!
100% of the proceeds to Houston Food Bank.
Mookie Wilson, original painting by Will Johnson.
10″x22″ acrylic and pencil on 3/4″ MDF board.
Starting bid is $50. Auction ends Sunday, September 3 at 2pm Central Time.
With respect and love.
Hello Friends! We’re looking for people to host Will Johnson Living Room Shows in between October 26 and November 9 in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kansas and Southern Missouri.
Do you have big living room, loft space, community space, art gallery, yoga studio, recording studio, coffee shop or other space where we can do a private show that can comfortably and safely host 40-60 people? If so, please read everything below and get in touch if you live in these areas and want to host. We’d love to have a show at your place!
Deadline for submissions: August 25
Tickets on sale: September 1 @ 2pm (Central time).
Thu Oct 26 : Austin – Host pending
FRI Oct 27 : San Antonio – Host pending
SAT Oct 28 : Sealy TX – Host pending
SUN Oct 29 : OFF
MON Oct 30 : Fayetteville AR – Host pending
TUE Oct 31 : OFF
WED Nov 1 : Tulsa OK – Host pending
THU Nov 2 : Oklahoma City OK – Host pending
FRI Nov 3 : Dallas TX – Host pending
SAT Nov 4 : Keller TX – Host pending
SUN Nov 5 : Lubbock TX – Host pending
We’ll make this as easy as possible for the hosts. All you have to do is let us borrow your living room for about 3 hours, check names off the list at the door… in return you’ll get 5 additional free tickets for friends and our eternal gratitude.
You read everything below and it’s all cool?
1. send an email to email@example.com with this info:
– a. Your address.
– b. A few photos of the space where the show will happen.
– c. Please put “Will Johnson Living Room Show” and the name of your city in the subject line.
2. Sit tight and we’ll get back to as soon as possible if we can book the show at your house.
1. You have a big living room, loft space, community space, art gallery, yoga studio, recording studio, coffee shop or other space where we can do a private show that can comfortably and safely host 40-60 people. There needs to be street parking, parking garage or public transportation nearby and your neighbors should be cool. It would be a huge bummer if someone called the cops because of all the extra cars and people coming to your place. You probably shouldn’t do this if you live in a tiny apartment with a bunch of uptight neighbors or a cranky landlord. Be realistic on how many people your place can hold. We need to know how many tickets we can sell in advance. Sorry, we can’t do these shows outside.
2. Ticket price will be $20. Everyone must buy tickets in advance. No tickets will be sold at the door. There will be no reselling or third-party tickets sales. All tickets sales are direct to fans from Undertow. Limit 4 tickets per person. We want everyone to have the same chance of getting tickets.
3. We’ll provide the host with a list of everyone coming to the show. The host won’t have to deal with any money and will only need to check people off the list as they arrive. We ask guests to arrive between 7:00-7:45pm. The shows start at 8pm and we ask everyone to be out of your space by 10pm.
4. The host gets 5 additional free tickets for the show. If you have other friends beyond your 5 guests who want to come to the show you should direct them buy tickets on-line.
5. Your home address will not be published on the web and will only be given to people who purchase tickets.
6. The shows will promoted on our websites, Facebook and Twitter and word-of-mouth.
7. We’ll need your help to spread the word on your Facebook and Twitter too. We’ll create a Facebook event for each show and make you a host of the event so you can easily invite your friends (Thank you!). Remember, please don’t post your address. The address only goes to people after they buy tickets. We need to keep the location private so random people don’t try to show up and pay at the door.
8. You don’t need any sort of sound system. All we is an armless chair for Will to sit on and glass or bottle of water near where he’ll be playing. It’s nice if you have some kind of ambient lighting like a lamp on coffee table, floor lamp, or overhead lights with a dimmer to help create a cozy mood.
9. You don’t need seating for everyone. If you have a bunch of chairs, great! But most shows are floor seating and we let guests know they should bring a cushion or pillow to sit on during the show.
10. There will be no opening acts on the living room shows.
11. We love dogs and cats… we really do! But an excitable pet running around during the show can be distracting for the guests and performers. If you have curious and friendly 4-legged family members, would you be ok with putting them in another part of the house or sending them to a friend’s house during the show?
Thanks for your help!
Bob & Jayne / Undertow